Note to Instructors and Students:
ASL University is a living, growing curriculum. It will constantly improve as time goes on. You are welcome to access and use this document but please know that it may (will) change over time. This document is not "the Lifeprint curriculum." It is simply a small part of it. Discussions regarding culture and grammar, (including but not limited to facial expressions, mouth morphemes, head tilts, shoulder shrugs, and other non-manual markers as well as classifiers, numerical incorporation, reversal of orientation, verb agreement, sweep plurality, etc.) are embedded in the more than 600 pages in the website. I'm grateful to my many colleagues for their insight and feedback. --Cordially, Dr. Bill Vicars
Internal links to items in this document:
01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |
16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 |
31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 |
46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 |
THANK-you (Compare with: GOOD).
INDEXING: (1) HE/SHE/IT ME YOU THIS THAT
INDEXING: (2) THEY THEM THOSE WE US YOU-ALL (sweep movement)
Practice Sheet: 1.A
01. "YOU NAME?" (You are named what?) Also see: (What is your name?)
02. "DEAF YOU?" (Are you Deaf?)
03. "STUDENT YOU?" ("Are you an ASL student?)"
04. "YOUR TEACHER NAME 'HUH'?" (What is your Teacher's name?)
05. "YOU UNDERSTAND HE/SHE, YOU?" (Do you understand him/her?)
Practice Sheet: 1.B
06. "WHO HE/SHE?" (Who is he/she?)
07. "AGAIN, NAME YOU?" (What is your name again?)
08. "S/HE STUDENT S/HE?" [point at teacher] (Is she or he a student?)
09. "THIS YOUR?" [point at any object] (Is this yours?)
10. "WHERE ____" [spell the name of a person in the room]
Practice Sheet: 1.C
11. "NICE MEET-you" (It is nice to meet you.)
12. "HEARING YOU?" (Are you a hearing person?)
13. "ASL TEACHER YOU?" (Are you a teacher?)
14. "YOU LEARN SIGN, WHERE?" (Where are you learning sign?)
15. "YOU LEARN SIGN, WHY ?" (Why are you learning sign?)
Practice Sheet: 1.D
16. "HOW SIGN T-H-A-N-K-S?" (How do you sign "thanks?")
17. "STUDENT, HE/SHE ?" [point at other student] (Is she or he a student?)
18. "THEY LEARN SIGN?" (Are they learning sign language?)
19. "YOUR TEACHER, WHO ?" (Who is your teacher?)
20. YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN?
HI I [spell your first and last name]. NICE-MEET-YOU. I HEARING. I STUDENT [spell the name of your school]. I LEARN LEARN SIGN. TEACHER NAME [spell the name of your teacher]. HE/SHE DEAF. HE/SHE TEACH GOOD. I UNDERSTAND HE/SHE. I LIKE HE/SHE.
BROTHER-[boy, male, man, same, right]
MARRIAGE-[husband, wife, marry, married, spouse]
SINGLE-[alone, something, someone, JUST, ONLY, SOMETHING]
SISTER [girl, female]
Possession: [his/her/its, mine/my, our, their, yours]
Practice Sheet: 2.A
1. "'HEY,' NAME YOU?" (What is your name?) [L2]
2. "YOU MARRIED?" (Are you married?) [L2]
3. "CHILDREN YOU?" (Do you have children?) [L2]
4. "HOW-MANY SISTER YOU?" (How many sisters do you have?) [L2]
5. "YOUR MOM NAME 'HUH'?" (What is your mom's name.) [L2]
Practice Sheet: 2.B
6. "YOUR DAD DEAF?" (Is your dad deaf?) [L2]
7. "YOU WORK WHERE YOU?" (Where do you work?) [L2]
8. "YOU LIVE WHERE ?" (Where do you live?) [L2]
9. "THIS HIS?" [point at any object] (Is this his?) [L2]
10. "HOW YOU SIGN "W-E"?" [spell "we"] (How do you sign "we?") [L2]
Practice Sheet: 2.C
11. "YOU NAME B-O-B, YOU?" (Are you named Bob?) [L2]
12. "YOU DIVORCED YOU?" (Are you divorced?) [L2]
13. "HOW-MANY BROTHER YOU?" (How many brothers do you have?) [L2]
14. "YOUR BROTHER/SISTER SINGLE?" (Is your brother / sister single?) [L2]
15. "SPELL YOUR DAD NAME SLOW." (Spell your dad's name slowly.) [L2]
Practice Sheet: 2.D
16. "You-MEET MY BROTHER YOU?" (Did you / Have you met my brother?) [L2]
17. "YOU LIVE WHERE YOU?" (Where do you live?) [L2]
18. "YOU WORK WHERE YOU ?" (Where do you work?) [L2]
19. "THIS YOUR?" [point at any object] (Is this yours?) [L2]
20. "HOW YOU SIGN T-H-E-Y?" (How do you sign "they?") [L2]
I B-I-L-L V-I-C-A-R-S [first and last name]. [Name sign?]
WIFE B-E-L-I-N-D-A, SHE DEAF
[Left hand hold up a "four" handshape, palm back, arm held at a comfortable angle, keep it there. Sweep the tip of the right index finger along the tips of the first three fingers of the left hand. ]
[Touch the tip of the pinkie finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
DEAF [nod, and touch the pinkie finger again, then,]
[Touch the tip of the index finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand, then touch the tip of the ring finger of the left hand.]
GIRL, [Touch the tip of the middle finger and then the pinkie]
[Touch the tip of the index finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
L-O-G-A-N (normally you'd indicate the age here, but we'll learn that in a later lesson)
[Touch the tip of the left, middle finger.]
[Touch the tip of the ring finger.]
[Touch the tip of the pinkie finger.]
I K-E-L-S-E-Y VICARS
MOTHER FATHER DEAF
FATHER NAME B-I-L-L
HAVE TWO BROTHER ONE SISTER
[Hold up your left hand in a "four" handshape, palm facing back, arm held at a comfortable angle, keep it there.]
[Touch the tip of the index finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
BROTHER, L-O-G-A-N, HEARING, MARRIED, 2 CHILDREN
[Touch the tip of the middle finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
[Touch the tip of the ring finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
BROTHER, BEN, DIVORCED, ZERO CHILDREN
[Touch the tip of the pinkie finger of the left "four" hand with the pad of the right index finger of the right "one" hand.]
SISTER, S-A-R-A-H, DEAF, SINGLE
ASK-[ask-to, inquire, request]
COME/[GO]-[come on, go-there, go-to, attend]
FAMILY-[class, group, team, category, cluster]
NEED-[must, have-to, should, ought-to]
THINK-[brain, mind, think-about, wonder]
[Negation: not, don't, reversal of orientation]
Practice sheet: 3.A
1. "NAME YOU?" (What is your name?) [L3]
2. "CITY YOU LIVE?" (What city do you live in?) [L3]
3. "YOU LIKE LEARN SIGN?" (Do you like learning how to sign?) [L3]
4. "YOUR HOUSE BIG?" (Is your house big?) [L3]
5. "CHILDREN, HOW-MANY YOU?" (How many children do you have?) [L3]
Practice Sheet 3.B
6. "YOUR HOUSE, HOW MANY BATHROOM?" (How many bathrooms do you have in your house?) [L3]
7. "YOU WORK WHERE?" (Where do you work?) [L3]
8. "YOU LIKE YOUR WORK?" (Do you like your job?) [L3]
9. "YOU THINK I SIGN GOOD?" (Do you think I sign well?) [L3]
10. "HOW YOU SIGN "A-L-L"?" (How do you sign "all?") [L3]
Practice Sheet 3.C
11. "WHO HE?" (Who is he/she?) [L3]
12. "WHERE FROM YOU?" (Where are you from?) [L3]
13. "YOU LIVE HERE?" (Do you live here?) [L3]
14. "FAMILY DEAF?" (Is anyone in your family deaf?) [L3]
15. "YOUR HOUSE SMALL?" (Is your house small?) [L3]
Practice Sheet 3.D
16. "WANT MORE CHILDREN YOU?" (Do you want more children?) [L3]
17. "YOU GO SCHOOL YOU?" (Are you attending school?) [L3]
18. "YOU NEED BATHROOM?" (Do you need to go to the bathroom?) [L3]
19. "YOU THINK I SIGN BAD?" (Do you think I sign poorly?) [L3]
20. "HOW SIGN "F-I-N-E"?" (How do you sign "fine?") [L3]
MY FAMILY ALL LIKE GO GRANDMA HOUSE. SHE LIVE CITY SMALL. NAME RIVERDALE. HER HOUSE BIG. BATHROOM HAVE THREE. MY DAD GROW-UP THERE. THINK HOUSE SWELL. I THINK SO-SO. RIVERDALE SCHOOL DAD DON'T-LIKE. WHY? TEACHER THEY BAD. ONE NICE TEACHER. M-R-S. SMITH. DAD PREFER-(favorite) SHE-(index on left). SHE GOOD. THAT SCHOOL NEED MORE GOOD TEACHER.
BABY [related signs: son/daughter]
BEDROOM-[box / room]
EXCUSE-[forgive / variation: lay-off / pardon ]
HURT [pain, injury]
IDEA-[variation: SUPPOSE, if]
WANT-[desire / variation: don't-want ]
Also see: CL:V-[stand, walk-to, lay down, toss-and-turn, dive, jump, skate board, get up]
1. YOU FEEL ANGRY? [L4]
2. UNCLE, HOW-MANY YOU? [L4]
3. YOUR FATHER, HOW-MANY SONS? [L4]
4. YOU HAVE BABY? [L4]
5. YOUR BEDROOM BIG? [L4]
Practice Sheet: 4.B
6. I NEED BRUSH-TEETH? [L4]
7. YOU FEEL WANT CRY? [L4]
8. YOUR BOY/GIRL-FRIEND NAME? [L4]
9. YOU HAPPY? [L4]
10. LEARN SIGN, NEED HELP YOU? (Do you need help learning sign language?) [L4]
Practice Sheet: 4.C
11. WHO HURT YOUR FEEL? [L4]
12. IF-(suppose) TEACHER SPELL SLOW, YOU UNDERSTAND S/HE? [L4]
13. YOU LOVE WHO? [L4]
14. YOU SAD WHY? [L4]
15. YOU SORRY COME CLASS? [L4]
Practice Sheet: 4.D
16. YOU WANT STOP LEARN SIGN? [L4]
17. HOW YOU SIGN W-A-S-H? [L4]
18. YOU HAVE EXCUSE? [L4]
19. HOW-MANY AUNT YOU? [L4]
20. YOU WANT BABY? [L4]
MY AUNT UNCLE DIVORCE. AUNT SHE-[index on the right] LOVE HIM-[index on the left]. not-WANT DIVORCE. SHE SAD, ANGRY, HURT-(over heart), GO BEDROOM CL:V-"lay down-toss and turn" CRY, CRY. she-ASK-me me-HELP-her FEEL BETTER. I HAPPY HELP-her. SHE good-FRIEND SHE. MY IDEA, SHE NEED FORGIVE HIM. STOP FEEL SORRY.
CAR ( also see DRIVE)
IN (also see OUT)
PUT (also see MOVE)
Practice sheet: 5.A
1. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND HE? (Can you understand him/her?) [L5]
2. CAR, YOUR FAVORITE what-KIND? (What is your favorite type of car?) [L5]
3. YOU WALK CHURCH YOU? (Do you walk to church?) [L5]
4. YOUR MOM NURSE? (Is your mom a nurse?) [L5]
5. WRISTWATCH, YOUR GRANDMA GIVE-you? (Did your grandmother give you a watch?) [L5]
Practice Sheet 5.B
6. INTERNET S-I-T-E YOUR FAVORITE WHAT? (What is your favorite Internet site?) [L5]
7. MOVIE, YOUR FAVORITE WHAT? (What is your favorite movie?) [L5]
8. CHAIR, YOU HAVE FAVORITE YOU? (Do you have a favorite chair?) [L5]
9. STORE, YOU WANT GO YOU? (Do you want to go to the store?) [L5]
10. YOU LIKE SIGN WITH DEAF? (Do you like signing with a Deaf person?) [L5]
Practice Sheet 5.C
11. CAN YOU DRIVE YOU? (Can you drive?) [L5]
12. YOU DRIVE HERE FROM HOME? (Did you drive here from home?) [L5]
13. COMPUTER YOU HAVE HOW-MANY ? (How many computers do you have?) [L5]
14. YOU NEED GO DOCTOR? (Do you need to go to a doctor?) [L5]
15. YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, WHAT? (What is your email address?) [L5]
Practice Sheet 5.D
16. YOUR HOME, WHERE? (Where is your home?) [L5]
17. YOU LIKE PLAY OUTSIDE? (Do you like to play outside?) [L5]
18. YOU FEEL ANXIOUS? (Are you feeling anxious?) [L5]
19. YOUR FAVORITE STORE, WHAT? (What is your favorite store?) [L5]
20. SIGN WITH FRIEND, YOU LIKE? (Do you like signing with a friend?) [L5]
MY BROTHER NOT GO SCHOOL. HE [negative "not"]-FEEL-GOOD. STAY HOME, COMPUTER SIT-[long time] PLAY-[long time], INTERNET, EMAIL HIS FRIEND. HE WANT WATCH MOVIE. MOM DRIVE-TO VIDEO STORE. GIVE-[to him].
I THINK HE SHOULD GO DOCTOR HE-[point to brother]. (Note: Sign this story with the facial expressions and body language of a jealous sibling).
BLACK / BROWN / RED / ORANGE
BLUE / YELLOW / GREEN
FUTURE-(later, will. Variations: someday, far in the future)
NOW-(Synonyms: present, current, today)
PAPER-(Variations: page, look-up, dictionary)
PAST-(Synonyms: before, previously. Variation: long-ago)
TOMORROW-(Also see: daily, everyday)
YEAR-(Also see: annually, last-year, next-year, numerical incorporation)
Practice Sheet: 6.A
1. YOUR FAVORITE COLOR, WHAT? (What is your favorite color?) [L6]
2. NAME SOMETHING ITSELF BLACK WHITE (Name something that is black and white.) [L6]
3. YOU LIKE COLOR BROWN? (Do you like the color brown?) [L6]
4. YOU DRAW GOOD? (Do you draw well?) [L6]
5. YOUR PARENTS DIVORCE? (Are your parents divorced?) [L6]
Practice sheet: 6.B
6. YOU FINISH WATCH MOVIE "__________?" (Have you seen the movie [spell a popular movie]) [L6]
7. YOU THINK FUTURE YOU TEACH ASL? (Do you think that someday you will teach ASL?) [L6]
8. YOUR CHAIR GREEN? (Is your chair green?) [L6]
9. OLD YOU? (How old are you?) [L6]
10. HOW SIGN W-A-I-T? (How do you do the sign "wait?") [L6]
Practice sheet: 6.C
11. CITY YOU LIVE? (In what city do you live?) [L6]
12. HOW-LONG YOU LIVE INDEX-there (How long have you lived there?) [L6]
13. YOU WANT GO HOME NOW? (Do you want to go home now?) [L6]
14. YOUR PAPER, WHAT COLOR? (What color is your paper?) [L6]
15. YOU LIVE BIG CITY PAST YOU? (Have you ever lived in a big city?) [L6]
Practice sheet: 6.D
16. YOU LIKE RED CAR? (Do you like red cars?) [L6]
17. TOMORROW YOU GO SCHOOL? (Are you going to school tomorrow?) [L6]
18. YOU GO DOCTOR, WAIT-(long), YOU SIT-anxious YOU? (Do you get anxious when you wait a long time at the doctors office?) [L6]
19. YOU MOVE-(to here) WHEN? (When did you move here?) [L6]
20. YOU LIVE HERE HOW-MANY YEAR? (How many years have you lived here?) [L6]
YEAR-PAST MY HOUSE ROOM ROOM WHITE A-L-L. NOW-YEAR MANY COLOR. MY BEDROOM BLUE. MY SISTER BEDROOM YELLOW. BROTHER WANT BEDROOM BLACK, DAD (say)-NO-(to-him-"sternly"). (Role play brother bodyshift face slightly left. Ask-to-father)-ORANGE? (Role play father bodyshift facing slightly right.) say-NO-(to-son-"sternly")-(Role play brother bodyshift face slightly left. Ask-to-father)-BROWN? (Role play father bodyshift facing slightly right.) say-O-K-to-son- "think about it for a moment" "reluctantly". MOM-DAD THEIR-(singular) BED-ROOM WHITE. BATHROOM YELLOW. FAMILY ROOM GREEN. OUR CAR RED.
FULL (2 versions)
Practice Sheet: 7.A
1. APPLE, GREEN, YOU LIKE EAT? (Do you like to eat green apples?) [L7]
2. CANDY, WHAT-KIND LIKE YOU? (What type of candy do you like?) [L7]
3. WHAT-KIND CEREAL YOU LIKE? (What type of cereal do you like?) [L7]
4. YOU LIKE COOKIES WITH MILK? (Do you like cookies and milk?) [L7]
5. WATER YOU DRINK EVERYDAY, HOW-MANY CUP YOU? (How many cups of water do you drink daily?) [L7]
Practice Sheet: 7.B
6. YOUR FAVORITE FOOD WHAT? (What is your favorite food?) [L7]
7. GREEN EGG AND H-A-M YOU LIKE YOU? (Do you like green eggs and ham?) [L7]
8. YOU LIKE EAT ORANGES? [L7]
9. YOU FULL-(flat hand under chin version)? (Are you full?) [L7]
10. YOU FAVORITE-[prefer], HAMBURGER [body-shift-"or"] HOTDOG? (Do you prefer hamburgers or hotdogs?) [L7]
Practice Sheet 7.C
11. HUNGRY YOU? (Are you hungry?) [L7]
12. PIZZA, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND ? (What type of pizza do you like?) [L7]
13. SUPPOSE YOU GO MOVIE, YOU LIKE EAT POPCORN? (Do you like to eat popcorn at the movies?) [L7]
14. SOUP, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What kind of soup do you like?) [L7]
15. APPLE, RED, YOU LIKE EAT YOU? (Do you like to eat red apples?) [L7]
Practice Sheet 7.D
16. COOKIE, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND ? (What kind of cookies do you like?) [L7]
17. YOU FAVORITE APPLE [bodyshift-"or"] ORANGES? (Do you prefer apples or oranges?) [L7]
18. YOUR SISTER LIKE EGG (Does your sister like eggs?) [L7]
19. SUPPOSE YOU EAT 3 HAMBURGER, WILL FULL YOU? (If you eat three hamburgers will you be full?) [L7]
20. YOU DON'T-LIKE CANDY?!? (Don't you like candy?) [L7]
HUNGRY ME. WANT EAT. NOW NOW I FEEL CAN EAT PIZZA CL:bent-LL-(Use bent "L" hands to show the size of a medium to large pizza) ALL MYSELF. TOMORROW I GO MOVIE. EAT, EAT, EAT WILL ME! POPCORN, HOTDOG, CANDY, DRINK, WILL FULL ME. MY FAVORITE FOOD? COOKIES, MILK ICL-Dip cookie into a cup of milk, take a bite."
Note: CL: is a way of indicating a special sign known as a classifier.
Note: ICL means instrument classifier. Instrument classifiers are sometimes used to show the manipulation of an object. In this story you manipulate a cookie and a cup.
CHANGE-[adapt, convert, COINS]
HEARING-AID-[put on hearing aid]
CLOTHES (Variation: "dress")
Practice Sheet 8.A
1. YOU HAVE BACKPACK YOU? (Do you have a backpack?) [L8]
2. YOUR HOUSE, CLOTHES DIRTY, WHO PUT-(in)++, BASKET? (Who picks up dirty clothes at your house?) [L8]
3. YOUR HEARING-AID, BATTERY, WHAT-KIND? (What kind of hearing-aid battery do you use?) [L8]
4. YOUR BELT, COLOR? (What color is your belt?) [L8]
5. CLOTHES, WHEN YOU CHANGE? (When do you change clothes?) [L8]
6. DOCTOR L-A-B COAT, COLOR? (What color is a doctor�s lab coat?) [L8]
7. CLOTHES DIRTY, SHOULD PUT WHERE? (Where should we put dirty clothes? [L8]
8. WHO THIS ROOM HAVE GLASSES? (Who in this room has glasses?) [L8]
9. WHO HAVE HEARING-AID? (Who has a hearing aid?) [L8]
10. YOU LIKE WASHING-MACHINE CLOTHES? (Do you like doing laundry?) [L8]
Practice Sheet 8.C
11. SUPPOSE YOU GO CHURCH, PANTS (bodyshift-"or") DRESS WHICH YOU? (If you go to church, do you wear pants or do you wear a dress?) [L8]
12. SPELL "PANTS" (Spell the word "pants.") [L8]
13. SCHOOL FINISH, TIME YOUR MOM PICK-UP YOU? (What time does your mom pick you up after school?) [L8]
14. YOUR SHIRT, WHAT COLOR? (What color is your shirt?) [L8]
15. SHOES, YOU HAVE HOW-MANY ? (How many pairs of shoes do you have?) [L8]
Practice Sheet 8.D
16. YOUR SOCKS, COLOR? (What color are your socks?) [L8]
17. YOU THINK CHILDREN SHOULD CHANGE UNDERWEAR DAILY? (Do you think children should change their underwear everyday?) [L8]
18. WHICH YOU FAVORITE-(prefer) PIZZA (bodyshift-"or") HAMBURGER (Which would you rather have, pizza or a hamburger?) [L8]
19. YOUR BACKPACK HAVE ZIP? (Does your backpack have a zipper?) [L8]
20. YOU WANT GO GALLAUDET FUTURE-(someday)? (Do you want to go to Gallaudet University someday?) [L8]
MY MOM WASHING-MACHINE EVERYDAY. I-HELP-HER. WASHING-MACHINE I (shift your body to face slightly to the right, open lid of washing machine" (face forward again) CLOTHES DIRTY (shift your body slightly to the left-act out putting dirty clothes into the washer). PANTS, SHIRT, SOCKS, UNDERWEAR "throw-into washer." MY HEARING AID? I DON'T-LIKE. Take-off-HEARING-AID, (Crain your neck, look for mom, check both directions while keeping the right hand in an "x" handshape then change your handshape into the "PUT" sign and quickly put the hearing aid into the washer and close the lid. Clasp your hands, smile with wide eyes, and try to look innocent." MOM FIND, MAD! SHE.
DOOR-[Variations: open, open door, close door, closet]
WINDOW-[Variations open-window, close-window]
Review and/or clarify:
WITH, together, variation "go-steady"
SOMEONE (something, single)
NUMERICAL INCORPORATION] The process of including a number in a sign.
Practice Sheet 9.A
1. YOU LIVE BASEMENT APT? (Do you live in a basement apartment?)
2. YOU PREFER BATH, SHOWER, WHICH? (Which do you prefer, taking a bath or taking a shower?)
3. YOUR BATHROOM HAVE T-U-B? (Does your bathroom have a tub?)
4. YOU TOGETHER-steady SOMEONE? (Are you going steady with someone?)
5. YOUR COUCH, COLOR? (What color is your couch?)
Practice Sheet 9.B
6. GARAGE HAVE?
7. CAR HAVE? HOW-MANY DOORS? (Do you have a car?--if so--How many doors?)
8. YOUR HOUSE, GARBAGE, WHO "throw out?" [mime "throw out"] (Who takes out the garbage in your house?)
9. YOUR DRYER, G-A-S, [bodyshift] ELECTRIC WHICH? (Is your clothes dryer gas or electric?)
10. THAT TABLE, COLOR? (What color is that table?)
Practice Sheet 9.C
11. WHAT-KIND TOOTHPASTE YOU? (What kind of toothpaste do you use?)
12. YOU PREFER STOVE, MICROWAVE, WHICH? (Would you rather cook using a stove or a microwave?)
13. YOUR REFRIGERATOR, WHAT COLOR? (What color is your fridge?)
14. AMBULANCE, BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever been in an ambulance?)
15. WHY DEAF PREFER KITCHEN? Why do deaf people tend to gather in the kitchen? [Good light.]
Practice Sheet 9.D
16. YESTERDAY YOU SHOWER?
17. YOUR S-I-N-K, COLOR? (What color is your sink?) [Fingerspell "S-I-N-K"]
18. YOUR PANTS, YOU PUT DRESSER, "HANG-UP" WHICH? (Do you keep your pants in a dresser or do you hang them up?) [Mime "hang up" using an X-hand as the "hanger" and an index-finger as the "bar."]
19. YOUR BEDROOM HAVE WINDOW? (Is there a window in your bedroom?)
20. YOUR HOUSE, HOW-MANY BATHROOM? (How many bathrooms are there in your house?)
YESTERDAY me-HELP-him BROTHER MOVE. HE BEFORE LIVE BASEMENT A-P-T. NOW HOUSE HIMSELF. HOUSE SMALL. GARAGE ZERO-(none). STOVE, REFRIGERATOR WASH-MACHINE, DRY DRY-(dryer), TABLE, MICROWAVE ALL IN KITCHEN. SINK WINDOW-(sign "window" further out and above the sink") WASH-DISH CAN LOOK-(out window) CHILDREN PLAYING WASH-DISH. BATHROOM SMALL, BATH-T-U-B ONLY, not-HAVE SHOWER. BEDROOM MEDIUM, DRESSER HAVE. LIVE-ROOM HAVE COUCH, TV, WINDOW SMALL, (Show the size of a small square window by tracing the outline of the window with the tips of your index fingers.)
BIRD - [chicken]
BOOK-[variations: open book, close book, bookstore]
GET-["Acquire." Compare: BECOME.]
KNOW-[Variations: don't know, know-that, familiar, aware]
SAME-[Similar. Variations: , me-same-as-you, me-too, ALSO]
TAKE-[take up, adopt, evaporate]
TRUE-[sure, really, real, indeed]
Practice sheet 10.A
1. CAT LIKE EAT BIRD? (Do cats like to eat birds?)
2. WHAT-KIND BOOK YOU LIKE READ? (What type of books do you like to read?)
3. FISH LIKE EAT BUG? (Do fish like to eat bugs?)
4. MILK, WHERE FROM, HOW GET? (How and/or where do we get milk?) [STORE / COW]
5. NAME SOMETHING DOG CHASE. (What do dogs like to chase?) [CAR / CAT / BIKE]
Practice Sheet 10.B
6. A-S-L CLASS, YOU PAST TAKE ? (Have you ever taken an ASL class?)
7. TEACHER HIS/HER WIFE/HUSBAND, YOU KNOW NAME? (Do you know the teacher's wife's/husband's name?)
8. HAVE PET YOU? --if so-- NAME? (Do you have a pet? What is its name?)
9. SOME CAT LIKE WATER? (Do some cats like water?) [Note: Some like swim in it: panthers. All like to drink it.]
10. HORSE, YOU WANT? (Do you want a horse?)
Practice sheet 10.C
11. YOU LOOK-LIKE YOUR DAD? (Do you look like your father?)
12. WHICH YOU PREFER, READ --bodyshift-- TV WATCH-casual? (Which would you rather do, read or watch TV?)
13. COOK CLASS, YOU PAST TAKE? (Have you ever taken a cooking class?)
14. YOU GO ASL CLASS, TIME? (What time to you go to your ASL class?)
15. BIRD LIKE EAT FISH? (Do birds like to eat fish?)
Practice Sheet 10.D
16. HORSE LIKE EAT FISH? (Do horses like to eat fish?)
17. YOUR BEDROOM UPSTAIRS? (Is your bedroom upstairs?)
18. TELL-(to-me) HOW YOU FEEL. (Tell me how you feel.)
19. YOU THINK COW GOOD PET? (Do you think a cow would make a good pet?)
20. YOUR FAVORITE BOOK, NAME? (What is your favorite book?)
I LIKE ANIMAL. I LIKE READ ANIMAL BOOK. PETS HAVE 4 ME. CAT, DOG, BIRD, FISH. I WANT HORSE. DAD TOLD ME CAN GET HORSE I OLD 18. MY UNCLE HAVE MANY HORSE. MANY COW. HIMSELF V-E-T. I ADULT WANT SAME-AS-HIM. I LIKE TAKE CLASS CLASS LEARN LEARN KNOW ANIMAL. ONE ANIMAL I DON'T-LIKE, BUG.
ABOUT-[title, quote, approximately, concerning, locale/area/thereabouts]
CALL-[phone, named, yell, tty-call]
Practice Sheet: 11.A
1. TELL-to-me ABOUT YOUR TEACHER (Tell me about your teacher.)
2. YOU GO CLASS ON TIME ALWAYS? (Do you always go to class on time?)
3. YOU HAVE DOG AND CAT YOU? (Do you have a cat and a dog?)
4. ANY YOUR FAMILY DEAF? (Is anyone in your family deaf?)
5. CLASS FINISH, #BACK HOME YOU? (Are you going back home after class?)
Practice Sheet: 11.B
6. HOW YOU FEEL?
7. CAN PHONE YOU? (Are you able to use the phone?)
8. WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND HE/SHE TEACHER? (Why can't you understand the teacher?)
9. TAKE-UP ASL FOR-FOR ? (Why are you taking ASL?)
10. NAME BOOK YOU THINK WONDERFUL. (Name a book that you think is wonderful.)
Practice sheet 11.C
11. YOUR BEDROOM DIRTY LITTLE-BIT? (Is your bedroom a little bit dirty?)
12. SOUP, YOU KNOW HOW MAKE? (Do you know how to make soup?)
13. YOU NEVER EAT CANDY YOU? (You never eat candy!?)
14. NEW CAR HAVE YOU? (Do you have a new car?)
15. YOU PREFER PIZZA OR HAMBURGER? (Would you rather have pizza or a hamburger?)
Practice sheet 11.D
16. YOU LIKE MEET NEW PEOPLE YOU? (Do you like to meet new people?)
17. YOU FEEL ANXIOUS, WHEN? (When do you feel anxious?)
18. YOU LIKE CHAT-WITH DEAF? (Do you like to chat with deaf people?)
19. WHAT-KIND PEOPLE YOU LIKE? (What type of people do you like?)
20. LEARN NEW THING YOU LIKE? (Do you like to learn new things?)
I LIKE READ. CAN'T STOP ME. ALWAYS READ, READ, ANYTHING. WATCH TV, I NEVER. SOMETIMES PEOPLE CALL-TO-ME CHAT. I TYPE, (bodyshift left)-READ, (bodyshift front) READ, TYPE, (bodyshift left)-READ. FATHER he-SEE-me, MAKE HIM ANGRY. I THINK, FOR FOR HE MAD? I CAN BOOK AND TTY.Lesson 12
AFTERNOON [Variation: every-AFTERNOON]
DAY-[Variations: all-day, today]
EQUAL / fair / level
MONTH [Variations: monthly / rent, next-MONTH]
MORNING [Variations: every-MORNING, all-MORNING]
NIGHT / evening [Variations: all-NIGHT, every-NIGHT]
Practice Sheet 12.A
1. AFTERNOON WORK YOU? (Do you work in the afternoon?)
2. TODAY YOU FINISH BRUSH-TEETH YOU? (Did you brush your teeth today?)
3. YOU THINK LIFE FAIR ALL PEOPLE? (Do you think life is fair for all people?)
4. EVERYDAY YOU SHOWER? (Do you shower everyday?)
5. EVERY-SATURDAY WHAT-DO YOU?
Practice Sheet 12.B
6. HABIT ANY YOU? (if so) WHAT-huh? What, if any, habits do you have?
7. HOW-MANY HOUR EQUAL 1 DAY? (How-many hours are in a day?)
8. HOW-MANY MINUTE EQUAL 1 HOUR? (How-many minutes are in an hour?)
9. HOW-MANY DAY EQUAL 1 MONTH? (How-many days are in a month?)
10. HOW-MANY MONTH EQUAL 1 YEAR? (How-many months are in a year?)
Practice Sheet 12.C
11. YOU LIKE MONDAY? (Do you like Mondays?)
12. MOVIE, GO TUESDAY NIGHT, GOOD, WHY? (Why are Tuesday nights a good time to go to the movies?)
13. SATURDAY NIGHT, I GO PARTY, WANT ACCOMPANY-me? (I'm going to a party Saturday night. Do you want to go with me?)
14. ONE MINUTE HAVE HOW-MANY S-E-C? (How many seconds are in a minute?)
15. ONE WEEK HAVE HOW-MANY DAYS? (How many days are in a week?)
Practice Sheet 12 D.
16. YOU SCHOOL WHICH DAY? (Which days are you in school?)
17. PEOPLE GO CHURCH, WHICH DAY? ("On which day do people go to church.")
18. PAST WEEKEND WHAT-DO YOU? (What did you do last weekend?)
19. YESTERDAY, HOW-MANY TIME YOU EAT? (How-many times did you eat yesterday?)
20. NEXT-WEEK YOU COME SCHOOL? (Are you coming to school next week?)
SUNDAY I GO CHURCH. MONDAY I GO AUNT HOUSE. TUESDAY I GO FOOD STORE. WEDNESDAY, HOUSE I CLEAN-UP. THURSDAY I WASH-CLOTHES. FRIDAY I GO MOVIE. SATURDAY I WATCH TV.
EVERY-MORNING MONDAY BLANK-(through) FRIDAY TIME-8 I GO SCHOOL.
EVERYDAY NOON, FRIEND B-O-B WE-TWO EAT 1/2 HOUR. every-AFTERNOON SCHOOL FINISH I PLAY FRIEND. Every-NIGHT BED TIME-9:30.
DEAF-SCHOOL-[residential school for the deaf, campus, institute, institution]
HARD-[tough, difficult, problem]
SQUARE-[sign, black+board, perimeter]
Review signs: PAPER, GALLAUDET, HEARING, VIDEOTAPE, PERSON
Practice Sheet 13.A
1. RESEARCH ARTICLE, YOU LIKE READ ? (Do you like to read research articles?)
2. YOUR TV CLOSE-CAPTIONED? (Is your television close-captioned?)
3. YOUR DAD COLLEGE? (Did your dad go to college?)
4. YOU GALLAUDET YOU? (Did you go to Gallaudet? / Are you attending Gallaudet?)
5. WANT BECOME INTERPRETER YOU? (Do you want to be an interpreter?)
Practice Sheet 13.B
6. DEAF (bodyshift-"or") HEARING YOU? (Are you deaf or hearing?)
7. YOU THINK HARD-OF-HEARING SHOULD MARRY DEAF O-R HEARING? (Do you think hard-of-hearing people should marry Deaf people or hearing people?)
8. HIGH-SCHOOL, WHEN GRADUATE YOU? (When did you graduate high school?)
9. YOU THINK THIS CLASS HARD? (Do you think this class is hard?)
10. WHY DEAF COLLEGE STUDENT NEED NOTE-TAKER? (Why do deaf college students need note-takers?)
Practice Sheet 13.C
11. CLOSE-CAPTIONED MOVIE, YOU LIKE WATCH? (Do you like to watch close-captioned movies?)
12. YOU LIKE TRUE FALSE TEST? (Do you like TRUE/FALSE tests?)
13. RESEARCH PAPER, YOU LIKE WRITE? (Do you like to write research papers?)
14. WHY TEACHER FLASH-LIGHTS? (Why does the teacher flash the lights?)
15. INTERPRETER LIST, YOU HAVE? (Do you have a list of interpreters?)
Practice Sheet 13.D
16. SQUARE-(white-board), YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SHOULD WRITE MORE? (Do you think the teacher should write on the board more often?)
17. PAST TEST THIS CLASS YOU how-MANY WRONG YOU? (How many did you miss on the previous test you took in this class?)
18. COLLEGE, GRADUATE WHEN ? (When did you / or will you graduate from college?)
19. YOU THINK THIS CLASS EASY? (Do you think this class is easy?)
20. DEAF-SCHOOL YOU? (Did you attend a residential school for the deaf?)
I DEAF-SCHOOL O-G-D-E-N U-T-A-H, GRADUATE 1984. NOW COLLEGE C-S-U-N. I LIKE COLLEGE, BUT HARD. HIGH-SCHOOL EASY. NOW MUST READ ARTICLE. WRITE RESEARCH PAPER. TEACHER SQUARE-(white board) WRITE-(on the white board) MUST PUT-DOWN. INTERPRETER, MUST WATCH-(intense). WHY? TEST HARD.Lesson 14
ENJOY / (appreciate, compare: please)
SPRING-[grow, PLANT, bush]
VACATION-[off work, holiday]
Practice Sheet 14.A
1. WHICH YOU LIKE BETTER, SUMMER (bodyshift-or), WINTER? (Which do you like better, summer or winter?)
2. YOU LIKE COLD WEATHER? (Do you like cold weather?)
3. AUTUMN, WIND-(light), COOL, YOU LIKE CL:1-"go for a stroll"? (Do you like going for a stroll in a cool autumn breeze?)
4. SUMMER VACATION, TIME YOU WAKE UP? (What time do you wake up during summer vacation?)
5. WINTER HERE SNOW? (Does it snow here in the winter?)
6. YOU THINK TONIGHT WILL FREEZE? (Do you think it will freeze tonight?)
7. SUPPOSE RAIN, CL:1-"GO OUT" PLAY+, WILL SICK YOU? (If you play in the rain, will you get sick?)
8. YOU LIKE MAKE SNOW+MAN? (Do you like building snowmen?
9. WORK YOU? SICK VACATION HOW-MANY DAY CAN YOU? (If you work, how many days of sick-leave do you get?)
10. WARM COOKIE AND MILK, YOU LIKE? (Do you like warm cookies and milk?
Practice Sheet 14.B
1. YOU LIKE SLEEP-IN? (Do you like to sleep in?)
2. YESTERDAY TIME YOU WAKE-UP? (What time did you wake up yesterday?)
3. YOU LIKE HOT WEATHER YOU? (Do you like hot weather?)
4. SUMMER VACATION, TIME YOU GO-TO-BED? (What time do you go to bed during summer vacation?)
5. SUPPOSE SICK, YOU THINK GO-TO-BED HELP WILL? (Do you think bed rest is helpful when a person is sick?)
6. YOU USE DEODORANT-YOU? (mime rubbing deodorant under your arm) (Do you use deodorant?)
7. YOUR FAVORITE TIME YEAR WHAT? (What is your favorite time of year?)
8. FEEL SICK YOU? (Do you feel sick?)
9. YOUR REFRIGERATOR FULL? (Is your refrigerator full?)
10. COLD PIZZA, YOU LIKE ? (Do you like cold pizza?
I FROM UTAH. THERE SUMMER HOT. FALL COOL. WINTER COLD. SPRING WARM. (position slightly left)-DIFFERENT-, (position middle)-DIFFERENT, (position slightly right)-DIFFERENT. SUMMER VACATION I GO-TO-BED MIDNIGHT SLEEP-SUNRISE. WAKE-UP TIME-9:00. WINTER I WANT SLEEP-SUNRISE, BUT CAN'T, MUST SCHOOL.
I LIKE HOT WEATHER. I DON'T-LIKE COLD. DON'T LIKE SNOW. RAIN FINE. MY FAVORITE TIME YEAR SUMMER. NIGHT MOON, I LIKE LOOK-AT-(for a long time). I ENJOY WALK WIND. SIT SUN WARM.
POLICE-[cop, sheriff, DETECTIVE]
PRINTER-[newspaper, publish, news]
SELF-[think-self, myself, yourself, himself, themselves, who-is, his-own, your-own]
Practice sheet 15.A
01. YOUR MAJOR WHAT? (What are you majoring in?)
02. YOUR TEACHER HAVE AIDE? (Does you teacher have an aide?)
03. YOU USE BABYSITTER? (Do you use a babysitter?)
04. YOUR BOSS NAME? (What is your boss's name?)
05. YOU LIKE COOK? (Do you like to cook?)
Practice sheet 15.B
06. YOUR GRANDPA FARMER? (Is your grandpa a farmer? (or) Was your grandpa a farmer?)
07. PAST-(long-ago) YOURSELF LITTLE-GIRL/BOY WANT GROW-UP FUTURE DO-what? (When you were a little girl/boy what did you want to be?)
08. SUPPOSE YOUR DAD DIVORCE, MARRY NEW WOMAN, SHE YOUR WHAT? (If your dad were divorced and re-married, what relationship would the new wife be to you?)
09. YOUR FAMILY ANY LIBRARY+PERSON? (Is anyone in your family a librarian?)
10. YOUR NEIGHBOR NAME, WHAT? (What is your neighbor's name?)
Practice sheet 15.C
11. PICTURE YOUR FAMILY YOU HAVE ? (Do you have a picture of your family?)
12. U-S, PRESIDENT, WHO ? (Who is president of the United States?)
13. STEPFATHER, MEANING? (What does the sign "stepfather" mean?)
14. BROTHER-IN-LAW YOU HAVE, HOW-MANY? (How-many brothers-in-law do you have?)
15. WAITRESS, HOW-MUCH SHOULD T-I-P? (How much should you tip a waitress?)
Practice sheet 15.D
16. NEWSPAPER, YOU LIKE READ? (Do you like to read the newspaper?)
17. WHICH COMPUTER PROGRAM YOU USE? (Which computer program or programs do you use?)
18. YOU WISH YOURSELF HAVE SECRETARY (Do you wish you had your own secretary?)
19. HOW SIGN S-C-I-E-N-T-I-S-T? (What is the sign for "scientist?")
20. POLICE he/she-HELP-you BEFORE HOW? (How have you been helped by a police officer?)
NEXT-[after, before, from then on]
SEE-[look-at, watch, let's-see]
Practice sheet 16.A
1. SUPPOSE TEACHER NOT COME, WAIT 1/2-HOUR YOU? (Would you wait a half-hour if the teacher doesn't come?)
2. WHERE YOU BEFORE-(prior to) CLASS? (Where were you before class?)
3. YESTERDAY, SCHOOL FINISH AFTER-(FROM THEN ON) what-DO YOU? (What did you do after school yesterday?)
4. DOCTOR APPOINTMENT, YOU HAVE? (Do you have a doctor's appointment?)
5. WHICH YOU LIKE BEST, SPRING, SUMMER, FALL? (Which do you like best, spring, summer, or fall?)
Practice sheet 16.B
6. WHO YOU THINK BETTER TEACHER, WOMAN, (bodyshift-"or") MAN? (Who do you think makes a better teacher, a woman or a man?)
7. PAST WEEKEND DO-what? (What did you do last weekend?)
8. HOW-MANY SHOES, YOU HAVE? (How many pairs of shoes do you have?) (SEVERAL)
9. YOUR FIRST CAR, COLOR? (What was the color of your first car?)
10. YOUR FAMILY, LAST CHILD WHO? (Who was the last child in your family?)
Practice sheet 16.C
11. TODAY, YOUR LAST CLASS WHAT? (What is your last class today?)
12. LATE CLASS ALWAYS YOU? (Are you always late to class?)
13. YOU KNOW WHERE DEAF CENTER? (Do you know where the center for the deaf is?)
14. PAST SATURDAY YOU GO-TO-BED, what-TIME? (What time did you go to bed last Saturday?)
15. YOUR FAMILY, WHO COOK MOST? (Who does most of the cooking in your family?)
Practice sheet 16.D
16. YOUR NEXT CLASS WHAT? (What class do you have next?)
17. HEARING AID BATTERY, YOU NOT-YET CHANGE YOU? (Haven't you changed your hearing-aid battery yet?)
18. LIBRARY, HOW OFTEN YOU GO? (How often do you go to the library?)
19. YOU GRADUATE SOON YOU? (Will you be graduating soon?) WHEN?
20. YOU RECENT what-DO? (What did you do recently?)
Practice Sheet 17.A
1. YOU LIKE BANANA? (Do you like bananas?)
2. WATER, MILK, POP, BEER, YOU PREFER DRINK WHICH YOU? (Which do you prefer to drink, water, milk, pop, or beer?)
3. NOW-MORNING EAT WHAT? (What did you have for breakfast?)
4. EAT FINISH, CUP, DISH, PUT SINK YOU? (When you are done eating, do you put your dishes in the sink?)
5. YESTERDAY NIGHT EAT WHAT? (What did you have for dinner yesterday?)
Practice Sheet 17.B
6. YOUR FRENCH-FRIES, YOU SALT A-LOT? (Do you like a lot of salt on your french fries?)
7. FRENCH-TOAST, HOW MAKE? (How do you make french toast?)
8. GRAPES, YOU EAT HOW OFTEN YOU? (How often do you often eat grapes?)
9. SUPPOSE EAT EGG, LIKE KETCHUP YOU? (Do you like ketchup on your eggs?)
10. YOUR HAMBURGER WANT M-A-Y-O YOU? (Do you want mayonnaise on your hamburger?)
Practice Sheet 17.C
11. YOUR HOTDOG, WANT MUSTARD YOU? (Do you want mustard on your hotdog?)
12. TOMORROW BREAKFAST YOU WANT PANCAKE AND HOTDOG-(sausage)? (Would you like pancakes and sausage for breakfast tomorrow?)
13. YOUR SOUP, YOU LIKE PEPPER? (Do you like pepper in your soup?)
14. YOUR HAMBURGER, YOU LIKE PICKLE? (Do you like pickles on your hamburger?)
15. TOMORROW EAT NOON, YOU WANT SOUP AND SALAD? (Would you like soup and salad for lunch tomorrow?)
Practice Sheet 17.D
16. YOU THINK SALT BAD FOR YOU? (Do you think salt is bad for you?)
17. YOUR S-I-N-K HUH COLOR? (What color is your sink?)
18. SOAP YOU USE, NAME? (What brand of soap do you use?)
19. SOUP, YOU LIKE WHAT-KIND? (What kind of soup do you like?)
20. YOUR CEREAL, YOU LIKE BANANA? (Do you like bananas in your cereal?)
CL:3-[park-car, row of cars, accident, garage]
LEAVE-[depart] LEAVE-[leave-behind, abandon]
SEARCH-[look for, examine]
Practice sheet 18.A
1. YOU HAVE BICYCLE? (Do you have a bike?)
2. YOU BOAT BEFORE? (Have you been on a boat before?)
3. YOU WANT BUILD (your)-SELF HOUSE? (Do you want to build your own house?)
4. CAR CL:3/CL:3-("crash") HOW-MANY TIME YOU? (How many times have you been in a car wreck?)
5. YOUR KEYS, YOU LOSE BEFORE?
Practice sheet 18.B
6. YOU THINK FIND NEW ADDRESS EASY? (Do you think finding new addresses is easy?
7. AIRPLANE BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever been on an airplane before?)
8. YOU ENJOY DO-what? (What do you enjoy doing?)
9. HORSE, YOU RIDE-ON BEFORE? (Have you ever ridden a horse before?)
10. WISH HAVE (your)-SELF HELICOPTER? (Do you wish you had your own helicopter?)
Practice sheet 18.C
11. YOU HAVE MOTORCYCLE? (Do you have a motorcycle?)
12. WHY YOU PRACTICE SIGN? (Why do you practice signing?)
13. TIME YOU LEAVE THIS CLASS? (What time will you leave this class?)
14. HOW YOU SIGN "R-O-C-K-E-T"? (How do you sign "rocket?")
15. YOU SEARCH-FOR WORK? (Are you looking for work?)
Practice sheet 18.D
16. YOUR CITY HAVE SUBWAY? (Is there a subway in your city?)
17. last-YEAR HOW-MANY TICKET YOU? (How many tickets did you get last year?)
18. TRAVEL-(around) TRAIN, YOU LIKE? (Do you like to travel by train?)
19. YOUR ASL BOOK, YOU LOSE BEFORE YOU? (Have you ever lost your ASL book?)
20. YOU PREFER CAR (bodyshift-"or") TRUCK. (Do you prefer cars or trucks?)
Practice sheet 19.A
1. WHAT AFRAID YOU? (What scares you?)
2. YOU THINK SCHOOL BORING? (Do you think school is boring?)
3. YOU THINK FIREMEN BRAVE? (Do you think firemen are brave?)
4. YOU LIKE CHAT PHONE? (Do you like to chat on the phone?)
5. EMBARRASS EASY YOU? (Do you embarrass easily?)
Practice sheet 19.B
6. YOU ENJOY DO-DO WHAT-(huh)? (What do you enjoy doing?)
7. YOU THINK MOST DOG FRIENDLY, MEAN, WHICH? (Do you think most dogs are friendly or are they mean?)
8. WHEN YOU FEEL FRUSTRATED? (When do you feel frustrated?)
9. WHEN YOU FEEL HAPPY? (When do you feel happy?)
10. RECENT YOU INSULT ANY-ONE? (Have you recently insulted anyone?)
\Practice sheet 19.C
11. YOU SOMETIMES FEEL LONELY? (Do you sometimes feel lonely?)
12. FOR-FOR-(why) YOU MAD? (Why are you mad?)
13. YOUR BOY/GIRLFRIEND HE/SHE-(rt) JEALOUS EASY? (Is your boyfriend (or girlfriend) the jealous type?)
14. BEFORE TEST YOU FEEL NERVOUS YOU? (Do you get nervous before a test?)
15. YOU PROUD ABOUT WHAT?
Practice sheet 19.D
16. YOU THINK HE/SHE TEACHER SILLY? (Do you think the teacher is silly?)
17. YOU THINK CAT STUCK-UP? (Do you think cats are stuck up?)
18. YOU LIKE SURPRISE TEST? (Do you like surprise tests?)
19. SUPPOSE WALK 4-HOUR, FUTURE-(will) TIRED YOU? (Suppose you walk for four hours, would you be tired?)
20. NAME BOOK YOU THINK INTERESTING. (Name a book that you think is interesting.)
FACE-[LOOK-LIKE, appearance, looks]
NORMAL-[of-course, natural, ordinary]
PRETTY-[beautiful, handsome, good looking]
SHORT-[short-stature, short-duration, short-sleeve]
STRONG-[WELL, brave, courageous, recover]
Practice sheet 20.A
1. YOU BEFORE BUZZ-CUT? (Have you ever had a buzz-cut hair-style?)
2. YOUR ASL BOOK CL:C-[thick]? (Is your ASL book thick?)
3. NAME SOMEONE CURLY-HAIR (Name someone who has curly hair.)
4. WHO YOU THINK CUTE? (Who do you think is cute?)
5. YOUR MOM HAVE BLUE EYES? (Does your mom have blue eyes?)
Practice sheet 20.B
6. YOU LOOK-LIKE YOUR DAD? (Do you look like your dad?)
7. YOUR SISTER FAT? (Is your sister fat?)
8. YOU LIKE FOOL PEOPLE? (Do you like to fool people?)
9. YOUR BROTHER HAIR, COLOR? (What color is your brother's hair?)
10. HAIR, LONG-HAIR, SHORT-HAIR, WHICH YOU THINK PRETTIER? (Which do you think is prettier, long hair or short hair?)
Practice sheet 20.C
11. YOU EAT A-LOT, REGULAR, WHICH? (Do you eat a lot, or do you eat a normal amount?)
12. YOUR DAD SHORT? (Is your dad short?)
13. YOUR GRANDPA SKINNY? (Is your grandpa skinny?)
14. OLD PEOPLE WEAK? (Are old people weak?)
15. HOW MANY GIRL THIS CLASS STRAIGHT-HAIR? (How many girls in this class have straight hair?)
Practice sheet 20.D
16. MOST FARMER STRONG? (Are most farmers strong?)
17. HOW TALL YOU? (How tall are you?)
18. YOUR DAD EYES BLUE? (Does your dad have blue eyes?)
19. PIZZA THIN-(crust), THICK-(crust), WHICH FAVORITE-(prefer) YOU? (Which do you prefer, thick or think crust pizza?)
20. YOU THINK MY SHOES UGLY? (Do you think my shoes are ugly?)
HIRE-[invite, introduce, welcome]
KEEP-[TAKE-CARE-OF, LEND, borrow, type]
LAWYER-[law, legal, rule]
MANAGER-[administration, rule-over, reign]
POSTAL-WORKER-[letter +man, mail+carry+er]
Practice sheet 21.A
1. #BUS, YOU RIDE-IN SCHOOL? (Do you ride the bus to school?)
2. DENTIST, YOU GO HOW OFTEN YOU? (How often do you go to the dentist?)
3. JOB YOU APPLY BEFORE, HOW MANY? (How many jobs have you applied for previously?)
4. HAIRCUT, HOW OFTEN YOU? (How often do you get your haircut?)
5. OLD BOY-FRIEND, [or girlfriend], PICTURE YOU KEEP? (Do you keep pictures of your old boyfriends? [or girlfriends])
Practice sheet 21.B
6. MOST MAIL WORKER THIN, WHY? (Why are most postal workers thin?)
7. SOMETHING BROKE, YOU PREFER HIRE MECHANIC, [bodyshift], F-I-X your-SELF, WHICH? (If something is broke, do you prefer to hire a mechanic or do you prefer to fix it yourself?)
8. WHO MANAGE YOUR HOUSE? (Who runs your house?) (Or apartment or dorm.)
9. YOUR SUPERVISOR, WHO? (Who is your supervisor?)
10. WHY BOSS FIRE WORKER? (Why do bosses fire employees?)
Practice sheet 21.C
11. PILOT USE S-U-N GLASSES, WHY ? (Why do pilots use sunglasses?)
12. CARPENTRY, YOU ENJOY? (Do you enjoy woodworking?)
13. YOU LIKE DANCE? (Do you like to dance?)
14. YOU LIKE FISHING? (Do you like to fish?)
15. YOU WISH (your)-SELF LAWYER? (Do you wish you were an attorney? )
Practice sheet 21.D
16. YOUR BROTHER, SISTER HOW TALL? (How tall are your brothers and sisters?)
17. YOUR CHURCH SEND MISSIONARY? (Does your church send out missionaries?)
18. YOUR DAD ARMY BEFORE? (Was your dad in the Army?)
19. YOUR HOUSE NEED PAINT? (Does your house need painting?)
20. YOUR RESUME HOW-MANY PAGE? (How many pages is your resume?)
#busy (Lexicalized fingerspelling)
REGISTER-[version 1, version2]
SEND-[version 1, version 2]
SUBSCRIBE-[get-regularly, SSI, welfare]
TELLER-fs (this sign is fingerspelled)
Practice sheet 22.A
01. YOUR MONEY, YOU KEEP WHERE?
02. COLLEGE STUDENT ALWAYS BROKE-(financially), WHY ?
03. CAN YOU MANAGE YOUR-SELF BUSINESS? (Can you run your own business?)
04. TOMORROW, YOU #BUSY?
05. WHAT COST CENT-25?
Practice sheet 22.B
06. YOU EARN MORE THAN 10 DOLLAR HOUR?
07. YOU LIKE GO CLASS EARLY?
08. YOU THINK GOVERNMENT PAY GOOD?
09. CAN DEAF GO COLLEGE FREE?
10. KNOW+ SILVER DOLLAR CL:C-[index and thumb], YOU HAVE YOU?
Practice sheet 22.C
11. EVERYDAY YOU BUY POP?
12. YOU HAVE your-SELF OFFICE? (Do you have your own office?)
13. YOU THINK PARENT SHOULD PAY CHILDREN FOR CLEAN+ BEDROOM?
14. REGISTER SCHOOL NEXT YEAR, FINISH YOU?
15. YOU WANT RETIRE, how-OLD ?
Practice sheet 22.D
16. YOUR GRANDMA SEND MONEY?
17. SHOW-me YOUR FAVORITE SIGN.
18. MANY DEAF SUBSCRIBE-(SSI) WHY?
19. SUPPOSE YOU GO BANK, YOU PREFER COMPUTER O-R TRUE PERSON TELLER-fs
20. YOU EARN MONEY HOW?
MATH-[algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry]
POST-[put up a poster, bulletin+board]
Practice sheet 23.A
01. TWELVE DIVIDE SIX EQUAL WHAT-(huh)?
02. ELEVEN PLUS FOURTEEN EQUAL WHAT?
03. EIGHTEEN TAKE-AWAY FIVE EQUAL?
04. ALGEBRA, CAN YOU EXPLAIN ME?
05. ALL-TOGETHER, HOW-MANY SIGN YOU KNOW?
Practice sheet 23.B
06. BEFORE TEST, YOU STUDY ALL-NIGHT?
07. ENGLISH, YOU LIKE STUDY?
08. STUDENT FAIL CLASS, WHY?
09. THIS CITY, HOW-MANY BOOKSTORE?
10. T-R-I-G, YOU FINISH PASS?
Practice sheet 23.C
11. WHERE CAFETERIA
12. SENIOR GIRL+ STUCK-UP, WHY?
13. YOU LIVE A-P-T?
14. YOU FRESHMAN, SOPHOMORE?
15. YOU LIKE MATH?
Practice sheet 23.D
16. RESTAURANT YOU LIKE EAT, NAME?
17. FLUNK CLASS PAST-(before) YOU?
18. YOU LIVE DORM?
19. YOUR PHONE NUMBER, YOU POST BATHROOM?
10. YOUR WORSE CLASS WHAT-(huh)
Note: Suppose your practice partner asks you if you live in an apartment and you tell him you live in a house later when he asks you if you live in a dorm, instead of answering "no" you could say, "not yet" or "before" or "I want" or some other information filled answer.
SHUT-DOWN-[power-outage, power-off, turn-off, blow-out]
SUCCEED-[finally, success, FAMOUS, Pah!]
THAN-[less, less-than, more-than, limit, equal, maximum, minimum, too-much]
Practice sheet 24.A
1. BEFORE MEET NEW PERSON YOU LIKE BRUSH-TEETH?
2. BEFORE TEST YOU WORRY?
3. COUSIN HIMSELF STRANGE YOU HAVE?
4. FOOD ENOUGH YOU?
5. FOOD, STRANGE, NEW, YOU LIKE EAT YOU?
Practice sheet 24.B
6. YOUR SIGNing, HOW IMPROVE?
7. IF NOT GO SIGN CLASS, NOT CHAT DEAF, YOUR SIGN DECLINE?
8. YOUR CAR, GAS, HOW-MUCH-[volume] LEAVE-(remaining).
9. YOUR REFRIGERATOR, ORANGE-"J", HOW-MUCH-[volume] LEAVE-(remaining).
10. ROCKET ALL SUCCEED?
Practice sheet 24.C
1. TOMORROW you-HELP-me DON'T-MIND?
2. DOCTOR EARN MORE-THAN NURSE, WHY?
3. SOME BOSS ACCEPT BAD WORK, WHY?
4. YOU INCREASE RECENTLY?
5. YOU MISCHIEVOUS SOMETIMES?
Practice sheet 24.D
6. DURING SUMMER VACATION YOU STUDY?
7. YOU THINK ASL TEACHER EARN TOO-MUCH?
8. YOUR ASL BOOK, HOW-MUCH-[cost]?
9. YOUR COMPUTER, SHUT-DOWN every-NIGHT YOU?
10. YOUR FAMILY, WHO OTHER SIGN?
(NOTE: The phrase, "YOU INCREASE RECENTLY?" could be interpreted a number of ways. Suppose you were talking about money and jobs and someone signed, "YOU INCREASE RECENTLY?" it would be interpreted as "Did you recently get a raise?" If you were talking about health, it would be "Have you recently gained weight?" If we were talking about stocks it would mean, "Have you recently added to your portfolio?"
FAR-(A hand, Index finger)-[distant]
FAST-[quick, speed, immediately]
FIELD-[all-over, -dom, -HOOD, land, area, ground]
ASL University: Lessons
Teachers everywhere are welcome to use the Lifeprint curriculum to teach your in-person classes.
Please know though that small improvements and revisions are made to the lessons frequently. - Dr. Bill Vicars
► Fingerspelling Practice: http://asl.ms
► Fingerspelling http://asl.gs
► Numbers Practice: http://asl.bz
► ASL 1: Practice Cards (.doc format)
► ASL 2: Practice Cards (.doc format)
► Quizzes (Note: Check with your instructor! Different instructors use different quizzes. Dr. Vicars' students should use the quiz links from their syllabus.)
Unit 1: Lesson 1 | Lesson 2 | Lesson 3 | Lesson 4 | Lesson 5
Unit 2: Lesson 6 | Lesson 7 | Lesson 8 | Lesson 9 | Lesson 10
Unit 3: Lesson 11 | Lesson 12 | Lesson 13 | Lesson 14 | Lesson 15
Also: Basic Deaf culture, terminology, history, fingerspelling, and Numbers
Unit 4: Lesson 16 | Lesson 17 | Lesson 18 | Lesson 19 | Lesson 20
Unit 5: Lesson 21 | Lesson 22 | Lesson 23 | Lesson 24 | Lesson 25
Unit 6: Lesson 26 | Lesson 27 | |Lesson 28 | Lesson 29 | Lesson 30
Also: Additional Deaf culture, terminology, history, fingerspelling, and Numbers
Level 2 workbook (reasonably up to date)
Lessons for ASL 3 and beyond exist in various stages of completion. In general the concept is each level covers 15 lessons.
So ASL 3 consists of Lesson 31 through Lesson 45.
ASL 4 includes Lesson 46 through Lesson 60. The instructional videos are available for all of the lessons up through Lesson 60.
Practice sentences list: Level 4 Practice Sentences List [.htm] [not yet linked, for videos see: LIST]
ASL 4 Practice Cards: [ASL 4 Practice Cards (.doc)]